Each December, Wilmot Family Resource Centre works with the Christmas Bureau to help low-income families in Wilmot and Southern Wellesley Townships with food and gifts. If you are interested in receiving assistance this December, you can come to our offices to apply during our business hours.
If you would like to support the program by making a donation or volunteering, contact our office! We’d love to hear from you.
Information for Hamper Recipients
Eligibility criteria for applying for a Christmas Hamper through WFRC is as follows:
- You must be a resident of Wilmot or Southern Wellesley Township. (We have a boundary map at the front desk of our offices; if you live outside of the boundary, we can still help you complete an application and get it to the correct agency.)
- The application forms must be completed in full, with all requested information
- Only one hamper may be received per household
- Only the primary parent or custodial parent may apply for each child
- Required documentation must be provided for at least one of the following:
- Proof of Ontario Works for yourself/all family members
- Proof of Ontario Disability Support Program for yourself/all family members
- If you are living on low income, attach a copy of your 2016 Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for yourself/all family members. You must also provide photo ID for yourself/all family members with current proof of address.
Information for Hamper Sponsors
When sponsoring a Christmas Hamper, we have a list of items that must be included – although sponsors are welcome to include extra items. For planning purposes, here are approximate costs that you can expect for 2017 hampers; keep in mind that hamper recipients can register to receive food items only, gifts only, or both food and gifts.
All food items must be in the original container and in good condition. If you wish to include fresh produce, please purchase it as close to December 14th as possible.” Optional: candies, pop, and produce which stores well, in place of canned fruit and vegetables (e.g.: cabbage, apples, carrots)
For everything on the basic list, here are some approximate costs (actual costs dependent on where you shop and what kind of items you choose):
- Price for 1 person approximately $100 – $125 + tax
- Price for 2 people approximately $125 – $150 + tax
- Price for 3 people approximately $175 – $200 + tax
- Price for 4 people approximately $225 – $250 + tax
Children’s gifts should be approximately $40.00 – $60.00. Adult gifts should be approximately $10.00 to $20.00.